Sunday, August 3, 2008

The adventure continues...







OK people, lots to tell you about. It is currently 1:49 est and I am writing this from Knoxville TN after a couple of long days...update:

We arrived in Gallup NM at my sister and brother in-laws house, Seth and Amanda and spent a day with them and their 2.5 year old Tanner. We had a blast relaxing and playing with Tanner...this kid is on fire! I forgot how cool it is to spend time with a child whose mind is literally developing as you hang out. This was his first real interaction with a big dog too. The "boys" really took to each other, and Tanner and Elvis are now officially buddies. Can't wait to see you guys soon, thanks for having us.

We left Gallup NM on sat, Aug 2nd headed toward Oklahoma city, 680 miles. The drive was going well until we blew a tire on the trailer in Sayre OK. As is happens, the first off-ramp we could get to led us to a tire facility approx 200 yards off the freeway. Come to find out, this shop is the official Budget "rescue" company for Amarillo TX to Oklahoma City...so Don, originally from Memphis, says he can fix me right up. He installed 2 brand new tires on the left side of the trailer to make it safe for highway use. He even had these premounted...total time of this disaster: 45 minutes. It could not have been any more ideal, unless of course it did not happen, but that goes without saying...or does it?

So 12 hours later we arrive at our "hotel". I booked this room on expedia and it was a dump. After getting into our room, I took Elvis for a walk and noticed a lot if riff raff milling about. I went to check our truck and more riff raff. I had a decision to make, my gut told me this place was not safe, or at least that is how I felt. I informed Melissa of my thoughts and she agreed that we should press on and find a decent hotel. We showered and headed out. Forward to 7 am the next morning...I am still driving. We decided to get a hotel in Conway OK and get some shut eye.

We slept for about 6 hours and back on the road. Today started out wonderfully ;). The rest of the day is a different story. Things got sour when Melissa made a profound statement: "Haven't we already passed Carlisle?" Yes indeed we had, I, in a brief moment of Bone-headed-ness had altered our schedule by about 2 hours. That is to say, I added 2 hours due to getting on the 40 West...when we all know North Carolina is on the EAST COAST Rod!!

This day also marked a special event....Melissa's first time behind the wheel! She drove the rig like a champ, dealing with rumble strips, passing big rigs, down shifting on the climbs all while drinking a large Red-Bull.

Tomorrow we head from Knoxville to our destination, Lillington NC. I can't wait to settle into a slower paced lifestyle and get to know my family on Melissa's side. I am also already missing my family, all of whom I left in California. Mixed emotions for sure.

That's enough out of me. Enjoy

RH

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

That's funny you drove the wrong way on 40! At least you made it to NC safe and sound. Sorry I couldn't be in the Creek on Monday night to welcome you home. Let's get together very soon!

August 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home